Thursday, October 2, 2008

It has begun

I started Watchmen last night - so far so good.

I’ve decided that I’m not going to apply any kind of rigid structure to this blog. As I read, I’ll write about the book I’m reading and the author and I’ll make every effort to post some thoughts as I make my way through each book, but I’m not going into in-depth analysis or writing detailed chapter summaries or anything like that. I do want to post regularly though because, if I don’t, this almost seems pointless. I also want to write a review after each book and compare my thoughts with Time’s. But really, this is about the reading and the more time I spend posting, the less time I spend reading and that’s just silly.

One thing I can comment on now is my reading style. It seems no matter what kind of book I read or how much I want to read it, it always takes about the first 1/3 of the book for me to really be drawn in and to want to continue to read it. This is holding true for Watchmen too. I have complete faith that I will be sucked in and will spend many nights staying up far too late. As much as I try to pace myself, to learn to savour books more, it just doesn’t happen. And if I’m not enthralled in that first 1/3, I’m not likely to continue.

Unless, of course, I have to, which I do if I’m going to read all 100 books. I can tell you right now I am not looking forward to Catch-22 or The Catcher in the Rye. Sigh.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

You're not looking forward to Salinger!? I'm a huge fan of all of his works, but Catcher in particular. I read it almost once a year.
If you absolutely can't make your way through it, I can guest post for you ;-)